The Foundation for Competitive Advantage
MISA, the Management Information System for Aviation, provides aviation companies with extensive tools to manage accounting (including government contract line item accounting), purchasing, inventory management, maintenance recording and forecasting, aircraft records, employee training records, human resources, payroll, technical publications, labor collection, and flight school management.
Why Choose a Management Information System?
It is a common practice for aviation companies to use multiple applications to manage their operations; whether custom built, acquired from a third-party, part of a legacy system, or a combination thereof. Often, such applications have limited interfaces necessitating duplicate data entry - a recipe for inducing errors and decreasing efficiency. And even when interfaces exist, they can be difficult to manage and require resources to build, maintain, and support them.
MISA provides the solution for these issues by standardizing, streamlining, and integrating business processes across all the various departments and functional areas within the company; and this integration improves the bottom line while providing employees a user-friendly and consistent application experience across the whole organization.
For management, MISA's integration means access to real-time, comprehensive, and relevant information from a single system rather than from disparate sources.
MISA provides fully integrated accounting functionality.
- Multiple level general ledger tracking provides extensive visibility, scalability and flexibility.
- Accounts Payable is integrated with purchasing to ensure accurate and correctly coded vendor payments.
- Accounts Receivable is integrated with maintenance to allow for collection of labor, material and outside service cost and one-click invoice creation.
- Financial Reports including trial balance, balance sheet and income statement.
- Accounting Structure allows for real-time access to financial information at multiple summary levels.
- Supports GAAP compliance by providing a consistent way to track and report financial data.
- For Government contracting, MISA mirrors the contract funding structure and provides automated Contract Funds Status reporting.
The powerful Job Management form places all forecasting information within easy reach.
- Tracks all types of scheduled maintenance, including phases and letter checks, overhauls, inspections, airworthiness directives and service bulletins.
- Maintenance constraints are based on flight hours, engine cycles, landings, days, months and years.
- Tracks tool calibration and support equipment preventive maintenance items.
- Powerful Job Management form collects cost and revenue for all labor, material and outside services and provides for a one-click invoice creation.
- Multiple, customer specific and flexible pricing options can easily be applied to different jobs.
- Job quotes can be created, approved and turned into work orders.
- Multiple maintenance forecast and maintenance analysis reports are available.
The Job Management form can be used to rapidly create work order lines for scheduled maintenance.
MISA makes it easy for maintenance personnel to record, manage, and sign-off work order tasks in one powerful form to
- view and complete scheduled maintenance tasks.
- record and sign off unscheduled maintenance.
- view maintenance constraint information.
- create and process deferred maintenance items.
- track labor.
- request parts.
- install expendable parts and kits.
- remove and replace rotables.
Maintenance personnel can perform all electronic job functions directly on the Work Order Processing form.
MISA's inventory management goes well beyond simple tracking to provide detailed historical information, including:
- Master list of part numbers includes part number, description, ATA code, and pricing information.
- Easily schedule and perform physical inventories and create inventory accuracy reports.
- Tracks expendables, rotables, tooling, support equipment and assets.
- Create, transfer and install kits.
- Receiving includes receipt and inspection by qualified receiving inspectors.
The powerful Inventory Management form puts inventory related information at your fingertips, including
- parts in stock and on aircraft.
- time since new, time since installed, time since overhaul.
- shelf life expiration.
- tool calibration.
- support equipment preventative maintenance.
- link to documentation such as 8130 certification paperwork.
- government inventory property control.
Detailed log tracking every movement of a part, including
- every flight the part has served on.
- every location on the aircraft that part has served.
- every receipt associated with that part.
- every repair (for rotables).
- every location transfer (warehouse to warehouse).
- ever bin location that part has ever occupied, and much more.
The powerful inventory management form provides quick access to all inventory information.
The purchasing section integrates the procurement of parts and services with inventory management and accounting.
- Purchase, repair and service request can be created and approved.
- Purchase requests can be fulfilled via transfers from existing stock or the creation of purchase orders.
- Repair requests can easily be turned into repair orders.
- Email notifications for requests or orders.
- Two-part receiving process: receipt record and a receiving inspection by qualified receiving inspectors.
- Core returns and warranties.
- Vendor performance can be tracked for on-time deliveries, fault not found instances, and lead times.
- Integration with accounts payable ensures that orders are coded correctly and vendors are only paid for serviceable items.
- For government program customers, International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) licenses can be entered and tracked.
MISA has extensive labor tracking capabilities.
- Timeclock application with barcode scanning is provided to log work hours for payroll, cost collection, and customer billing.
- Employee work schedules are compared against employee logins to control labor costs using selectable constraints.
- Employee labor records can be reviewed and accepted by employees, then reviewed and approved by supervisors.
- Labor data is used to calculate payroll and create a file for consumption by payroll companies for paycheck processing.
- Ability to create and approve PTO (paid time off) requests directly within MISA.
The human resources section in MISA is used to keep track of all employee-related information.
- Tracking of employee data, including general employee information, job titles, pay rates with history, hire and termination dates, supervisors, departments and home base locations.
- Employee badges with pictures and barcodes can be printed for use with the login/logout application to capture labor hours.
- Company holidays can be entered and automatically added to employee timecards.
- PTO requests can be placed by employees and approved or denied by supervisors.
Compared to SkedFlex, MISA offers a ‘light’ version of flight operations including:
- Ability to create weekly flight schedules and assign pilots and aircraft.
- Dispatchers record flight times, landings and engine cycles, and other standard parameters.
- Data is used to update all aircraft parts, maintenance times and forecasts.
- For companies who manage a fleet of government aircraft, the ability to track daily total flight hours, cycles, and landings is offered. This information also filters to the maintenance forecast and is used to create monthly aircraft status reports in support of Government Contract Line Items (CLIN) requirements.
Review the SkedFlex CMS product for more advanced crew management and flight tracking capabilities.
MISA will calculate payroll and create a payroll upload file.
- The payroll section is used to create payroll weeks and payroll periods.
- Timecard data is combined with pay rates and special pay codes to allow payroll personnel to easily calculate payroll, including overtime, double time, holidays, vacations, jury duty, and sick leave.
- The payroll data can be exported to any payroll company for processing.
- Use special payroll adjustments for non-standard compensation.
- For government program customers, payroll may include special pay such as COLA, HOLA, Hazardous Duty Pay, etc.
MISA’s employee training functionality allows for entry and tracking of initial and recurring training, certifications, and capacities for each employee.
- Tracking of due dates for training classes and certifications.
- For pilots: qualifications are checked for assignment to aircraft type when scheduled to fly.
- For mechanics and inspectors: currency is checked and sign offs are inhibited for non-current individuals.
Review the SkedFlex CMS product for more advanced crew management and flight tracking capabilities including the SkedFlex Qualification and Training module.
The Technical Publications section is used for managing documents and records related to fleet maintenance and regulatory requirements including technical orders, airworthiness directives, and service bulletins.
External documents can be linked to various forms within MISA, including:
- Employee related information.
- Purchase order backup.
- Inventory certification paperwork.
- Maintenance instructions.
- Accounts payable, accounts receivable.
Included documents library feature provides access to internal controlled company documents.
System Administration (IT)
System administration (customization and user security setup).
- User Groups to streamline user security settings.
- Permissions based access to specific forms for full read/write or read/only access.
- Specific action authorities further allow administrators to configure user rights.
- Password security is configurable with multiple options.
- System reports can be added to different sections to control access.
- Drop-down lists in various screens are configurable by system administrators.